5 Things Should Know Today, April 10
Today is your chance to elect two members to the New Port Richey City Council.
It’s Election Day in New Port Richey but there’s more going on than deciding who will fill two City Council seats.
1. Voting for the New Port Richey City Council election will be at the New Port Richey Recreation and Aquatic Center, 6630 Van Buren St. Voters should not go to their usual precinct polling places. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Any voter in line by 7 p.m. will be allowed to cast a ballot. The two of three candidates on the ballot who receive the most votes will win.
2. Learn more about diabetes and receive a free glucose screening today at Morton Plant North Bay Hospital, 6600 Madison St. New Port Richey. Free glucose screenings will be offered from 11 a.m. to noon. At noon, Dr. Marcos Garcia will discuss risks of developing the disease and offer ways to reduce the risks. Both events are free. To register for the health seminar and screening, call (727) 953-6877.
3. Everyone has a story and adult poets, writers, and storytellers can share their creative work in a welcoming and supportive environment at 1 p.m. today at the New Port Richey Public Library, 5939 Main St. The event is free.
4. If doing your civic duty in the voting booth makes you feel like dancing, you can learn line dancing at Peace Hall at Sims Park and Orange Lake at Bank Street and Grand Boulevard in downtown New Port Richey starting at 5 p.m. Lessons are $5.
5. Or maybe voting puts a song in your heart. If so, women from 18 to 90 can join the Suncoast Harmony Chorus at Gulf High School, 5355 School Road in New Port Richey at 7 p.m. The Suncoast Harmony Chorus is a branch of Sweet Adelines International.