Free Yoga Happy Hour Returns Downtown
The event supports the restoration of Cavalaire Square.
The New Port Richey Cultural Affairs Committee is hosting a free guided yoga Happy Hour Tuesday, Sept. 25, in Cavalaire Square in downtown New Port Richey.
The yoga starts at 7 p.m. and is free to participate in, but donations are accepted. The donated money supports efforts to restore Cavalaire Square, a space tucked away on Missouri Avenue just east of the intersection of Missouri and Grand Boulevard.
The square was created to honor New Port Richey’s relationship with its sister city of Cavalaire-sur-Mer in France.
The Cultural Affairs Committee, a citizens’ advisory committee, is endeavoring to spruce up the square and want to see people use it more.
“Really, we just want to get people out in the community interacting with each other,” Derek Smith, Chairman of the Cultural Affairs committee, said in a previous interview.
Smith said he also “wants people to care about the city and keep it looking good.”
The square cleanup is the first part of the committee’s Cultural Restoration Initiative that will spruce up sites in the city.
A past Yoga Happy Hour raised $117 and 2 Target gift cards, said committee member Lia Gallegos.
Here’s the list of what the committee further wants to do to spruce up the square.
- Concrete staining of fountain “stage area,” main square also if money allows
- Replace broken brick border in main square area
- Repair aging mortar in the fountain and leaks
- Lighting – permanent “street lamp” fixtures as well as decorative string bulb lights
- Shade sails
- Painting the back wall of the building behind the sculpture
- Black metal signage, 1920’s design, explaining the Sister City connection and history of the square as well as directional signs on Grand Boulevard.
Should you want to donate to the effort to revitalize the square in the meantime, you can also drop a check by the City Clerk's office at 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, with a note about it being a donation for Cavalaire Square.